Sunday 21 September 2008

Extra Storage


I have been pondering something. I have just purchased a 1 Terabyte hard drive for my computer. For those of you who don't get computers, that's 1000 GB of memory. Admittedly that's a lot of storage but for some reason I feel as if even that won't be enough soon. When I purchased my Mac computer, I upgraded to get maximum memory then, which was 90 GB. That was only 3 years ago! Digital and online memory is one thing and gone are the days of super computers that take up entire rooms or warehouses. The 1 TB hard drive is no bigger than a book.
  So then I got to thinking about all of the other storage we have. We have only a few of our things in the apartment which we are temporarily renting and that somehow is enough. Almost everything Sara and I own is jammed tightly into an enormous storage warehouse in the south of Stockholm (refer to photo). So that leaves me to ask the question, why do we need or have all of these other possessions? Why is it that 10 years ago, no one needed extra storage or massive storage facilities for all of their personal belongings that they couldn't bare to part with. For those of you with a kiwi upbringing, all the unnecessary stuff was put in the roof or stacked in the garage. But even that's not enough now. How can we have that much stuff, which is basically what it is...that we need to rent other places to fill up too. You've spent money through the years on things that have become obsolete and maybe lost a little appeal and even more importantly...value. But we now spend even more money to still hang onto things that we no longer even need. That's crazy when you actually think about it. When you're living in a  city with minimal space available to the average person as Sara and I are, storage and available space is a premium. I'm just waiting for the invention where you can turn real things into digital memory and then store them on your computer. That'll be the day! That's a good idea for a drawing...

No comments: